Jennifer and her two teenagers managed to get away to Canada for a few weeks this summer but, as with anyone who is returning to Hong Kong, they needed to quarantine in a hotel on return. Luckily for them it was only for a seven day stint which didn't seem quite so bad but she thought it would be nice to share a few of the thoughtful things that friends dropped off for her family at the Nina hotel (plus a couple that she'd seen suggested elsewhere).
Here's Jen to let you know about what she got and what she has heard other people say are lovely things to receive.
1. Luckily for me Claire gave me a present of a 1000 piece puzzle (and very handy puzzle mat!) to take into the hotel. It was great to have something to while away the hours and no better and more appropriate a jigsaw than a Year Like No Other!
2. Exercise equipment - a friend loaned me her walking pad which has been amazing. Being able to do something active every day, despite the small space, was brilliant. Another good idea would be a yoga mat which doesn't take up much room. The hotel we are in also has an 'inmates' what's app group and people are handing on equipment as they leave so you might also be able to get it this way.
3. A selection of books (and some spoiling treats!) was dropped off by a friend - a good one for my 13 year old was a Joke book plus there were some puzzle books and a magazine.
4. On a couple of occasions a lovely friend happened to be coming to the neighbourhood our hotel was in and popped into Eric Kayser beforehand to pick up a few croissants for us. What a total treat! If your hotel is anything like the Nina the items are brought up to your room super quickly so we had them for breakfast!
5. A momento that will last well beyond your stay - a customised mug from LRP to 'commemorate' your QT time - pop in some tea bags or coffee and maybe some biscuits with it as well.
6. A few sweet treats (and fresh fruit to keep a bit healthy!) went down well, especially with kids in the room. A box of maltesers ready for 'cinema' Saturday night were great and having a few biscuits to chomp on through the days as well as grapes and apples was so nice to have.
7. Some DIY 'spa' treatments - a mud mask for our faces and foot masks! I would share a photo of us wearing these but not sure my teenagers would let me - ha ha! But having those broke up the normal 'routine' that you get into in the evening in the hotel.
8. Anything home made - we were dropped off some very tasty banana bread which has kept us going when afternoon snacks called for. And the loveliest hand made gift arrived in the form of this gorgeous artwork! My neighbour's toddler coloured it in especially for me and it came in a parcel that my husband dropped off mid week!
9. We didn't actually get this but I've heard people having a plant or flowers delivered which seems like a lovely idea. A week isn't so bad but if you were here longer the idea of having something green and alive in your room with you seems very appealing!!
10. And finally, an extra special one that doesn't cost a penny - not a drive by but a wave by ... if you are anywhere near the hotel and the quarantiners have a window facing the street the loveliest thing you could do is stand outside and give them a big wave and a smile from down below! My husband and our dog came by to say hello over the weekend and it was a total treat to see them.